Britain's biggest road safety event, Road Safety Week, is back for another nationwide round of events aimed at encouraging action to improve road safety and raising awareness of issues relating to it.
There are six elements to the Brake pledge for this year's Road Safety Week.
- Slow - breaking the speed limit is estimated to be a contributory factor in one out of four (27 per cent) of fatal crashes in Britain.
- Sober - one in every seven road deaths
involvea driver who has driven while over the legal drink-drive limit.
- Secure - seat belts reduce the risk of dying in a road traffic accident by 50 per cent.
- Silent - motorists distracted by a secondary
task suchas using a mobile phone while driving arethree times more likely to crash.
- Sharp - it's estimated that crashes caused by poor driver vision account for 2,900 casualties in the UK annually.
- Sustainable - Brake is calling on drivers to consider using public transport where feasible to reduce carbon emissions and air pollution, which is thought to cause around 29,000 deaths in the UK each year.
You can sign up for a free Road Safety Week action pack here.